Monday, August 18, 2014

They told me parenthood would change everything, but I didn't think it would change this...

                      Married friends of mine have told me since I was in my mid-twenties, that everything changes, when children come. Of course, I laughed. 
                           You see, I was not going to have them. If by chance I did, I was smarter than all of these people warning me. I was more rational, less emotional by nature and more laid back. If children eventually came it would be no big deal.
                                                               Uh huh...
           I accepted the lack of sleep and toy land mines thru out our house, fairly well. I eventually caved into the fact that high chairs and potty chairs were more important than some of the tools at Harbor Freight... I ever so reluctantly eased myself into the reality that in this plane of existence , my children possibly deserved the extra share of chicken skin my Wonderful Wife had always reserved for me, from her plate...
         Imagine my surprise to learn there was more...
         Much more...
                Since my late twenties,  I have been what some people would consider conservative. They may even have called me an  ultra-right winger, who considered both Pat Buchanan and Pat Robertson a little too far left for me... 
             ...and they would have been right.
             Unapologetically, I plead guilty on almost every single count. I still am a staunch advocate of The Constitution, as written and the sanctity of our founding fathers intent...
           I could go on for a while, but in the end, it would not change my point or my purpose in sharing what has been a recent revelation...and for me, a personally startling one.
                  I watched the news recently and saw what was happening at our border.
                     Please don't shut down right now, because this post is not about politics....
          As I saw children flooding into this country I was alarmed and shocked. I tried to jump into the" Let everyone step in line and wait their turn mindset", but it kept slipping down. 
     I was completely confused at my lack of conviction. I always had been unmoving in regard to immigration... But like I said- this is not about politics...
                 I say this, because as I watched those children being corralled and rangled, I looked at my own children of the same age.  I listened to the stories, the tragic history of some and the myriad of atrocities many of them had already survived and escaped.
             I imagined how I would feel if one of my children were kidnapped and brought to another country. If they were forced into the sex trade for years and were finally able to escape.
   If they somehow managed to reach our border and were stopped from entering and then sent right back to the living hell they had escaped from, for the simple reason they could not verify their citizenship...
                                                        How would I feel?!?
                          If it was your daughter or son, grandson or granddaughter, how would you?
                 Listen to the news. Children in THIS country are kidnapped every day. Just listen to the morning radio, maybe not KLOV perhaps, but almost any other local channel.
                                                      It happens all the time...
         My Wonderful Wife is a member of a task force for the organization " Love 146".
              They combat sex trafficking both locally and worldwide. I never knew the prevalence of this issue until she became involved. I also never knew that their was hope...
                        True despair cannot exist without the illusion of hope.
                               Returning these children back to the horrid life they escaped not only is inhumane, but inexcusable. The only thing worse than the existence they inhabit is returning them, knowing it can never end...
                                       So, in this quandary of beliefs, I prayed.
                                     And then I asked " What would Jesus do"?
                                                     I got my answer. 
                                               I'll let you ask Him yourself...
                                   What I do know, for myself, is that I cannot let this political circus distract me from the fact that this is not about politics, but is simply about kids...
   Not American or Mexican or Central American kids...Just kids...hurting kids..helpless kids...
                                Jesus warned of dire consequences for those who would keep the children from Him. Can you imagine how he would feel towards those who justify and enforce this return too atrocity?
                      The saddest part of this whole deal is there are loving, dedicated Christian Americans hellbent on the letter of our Constitution. They may have forgotten that the founding fathers made provisions for these people, the persecuted and victimized in their own country...
                                               For a very long time, I was one of them..
                            But not today. Their comes a time when even the greatest of ideals must stand face to face with whether it is on the side of right or wrong...
          In no circumstance can I justify, or could you possibly justify to me that returning innocent children back into slavery is O.K....
                        I can't believe I'm saying this. I can't believe I'm feeling this...
      I can't believe that something as simple as this biological trick of having children could touch and change my soul so much....
                         I have no clue how this whole fiasco will turn out. With God, all things are possible, I do know. I also have realized that often in our trials, we must remember that sometimes, probably more  than we care to think, the good is often the enemy of the very best...
                           
           Sometimes all we can do is the next right thing and have Faith that God will make it work out all right ...

No comments:

Post a Comment