Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Gotta serve somebody...

                                             I suppose you have to give serious appreciation to how good of a Pastoring staff your Church has, when you find yourself ruminating about their sermons, many months after they were given...
              I always wanted to be the kind of guy who could walk into his Church, listen to the message and instantly get it. Absorbed like a sponge and retained like a coupon for a free 2 pound cheeseburger...
                            But I am not that guy. I go in to listen to Gods Word with a touch of sceptisism, a sort of " I'm from Missouri", the show-me state mentality.
                               Don't get me wrong; All these guys are spot on in their preaching. Never have any of them been off Scripture in message. In fact, the Chapter and Verse they are teaching on is always posted on the giant screen above them. On the rare occasion that they add their own opinion or personal interpretation, it is stated clearly that it is their own view, not Gospel itself. These dudes do not mess around....
                                          The sceptisism comes from past experiences of the religious nature. I had learned long ago to compare what is said to what The Book says, always insuring it isn't twisted or taken out of context, for personal ideology.
                           My guys have never been off, that I have found. They certainly have earned my trust.
        I personally think its good practice to mentally check what I hear, still, from whatever the source.
                That's just the kind of guy I am...
                                                             Back to the rumination...
                        Awhile ago, we were instructed on how The Bible showed the type of citizen God wanted us to be. The fact that we don't like or agree with the present authority of government at the particular time, was irrelevant. As long as the earthly authority did not conflict with Gods laws, we were commanded to obey as a good servant...
                                           I listened, and as our Pastor predicted right before speaking on this,
my spirit began fighting the whole concept. To be fair, he prefaced this Sermon by sharing with us that this is not a touchy feely, uplifting message and certainly not one that he liked to give. This was a challenging issue, especially in our American culture.
                     I think that was a slight understatement. By slight, I mean giant...
                                When I joined the Navy, I signed a paper promising to defend and protect The Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic. I take seriously the Bill of Rights, God given rights, as the founding fathers stated.
                         But lately, this little voice in my soul asks me a very simple question.
                                                    "Would Jesus buy this?"
                                            That is a very hard question, if you happen to be harboring well intentioned but Biblicaly innacurate, established core beliefs...
                                                 As it turns out, that I do...
                                                 As it turns out I was...
                                     I wished again that I were one of those who got it and went on their merry way. I really, really wish I was the type who could do that...
                                       But that's just not the kind of guy I am.
                                             So I began comparing those " God given" rights, guaranteed by this Constitution I adore...
                        Freedom of speech?  In all my searching, I could not find that in The Bible. That we would be persecuted for our speech, now that was in there...
                         Freedom to assemble? Maybe to mandatorily assemble to conduct a census and pay taxes..
     Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? I think you know better than that by now.
We will be put to death for our beliefs, and the only liberty guaranteed us is in the blood of Christ, if we choose to accept His gift. Happiness? Reading about Job answered that one...
    No where did I find reference to freedom of the press, freedom of religion without persecution or freedom to keep and bear arms..
                   I began asking questions that were unthinkable. Every major political belief I held dear was on the line. I looked at the Constitution and asked myself that simple, little, question- 
                                                    Would Jesus buy this?!?
                        Recently, I came to the realization that many things claimed by assorted political organizations have nothing to do with politics. It is simply acceptable to Jesus or it is not...
        That is the only real question. It has nothing to do with politics....
                  Believe me, the last few months have been a battle of spiritual turmoil and the seemingly crippling loss of deep seated, long held political beliefs, all dealing WITH politics....
                                     No man can have two masters, The Good Book says.
                            I followed this much further than I ever believed I would, haunted by the choice between two masters..
                                 Jesus or The Constitution....
      I tried everything in my armory to insure this question need not be asked, but I personally found it inescapable.....
                 Does the Constitution bend or even break before Jesus or does Jesus bow before it?
                       No real question, when phrased like that....
                  I feel like either a religious heretic or political one. Either one is terribly uncomfortable.
                          So the true hauntings all began from Biblicaly based sermons that dared me to look at my own beliefs. My Pastor was right. This was not touchy-feely or in any means fun.
              I hated this journey. What I swore to defend and protect is not really based on what I was lead to believe. Barrabas was a zealot and politician that was released instead of a guiltless, non political Jesus.
               So, somehow I am supposed to support leaders that God appointed their own throne, who personally make my skin crawl, without complaint?
         I should do my best for the authorities God has put over me, to honor Him?
                What a concept. How un- American...
                     But it's in The Book...
                 Dylan said it best. " You gotta serve somebody..."

No comments:

Post a Comment