Sunday, March 29, 2015

Heroes and hearts...

                    Sitting at the dinner table is not always the time of great conversations at our house. Most often, getting information from one, if not all of our three McMonkeys is an intimidating task..
          So, one of the three that will remain nameless today ( in a lawyer- like fashion), unusually began speaking...
           " I think you and mom might be wrong about something" he spoke calmly, with a nervous upwards glance. " Sometimes when I'm at school and my cross on my necklace slips out from behind my T shirt, me and my friends talk about God and Jesus"...
           " Some of them go to Church and believe in God. Some believe, but don't go... I think a lot more people are believers than you both told me".
                                              Needless to say, I was surprised.
                        Not that he thought we were wrong. He's a pre teen, so that is commonplace. What really did surprise me was the fact that in school, without premeditated plan or intent, our son is witnessing for his God and His Saviour...
                          Now we have never sent him in to do this, in fact, it is something we really never had spoken of... If I had, most likely I would have cautioned about legalities and school policies.
                       I guess rarely and inadvertently, I may actually keep my mouth shut, at the right time...
                                                    Can't take credit for that...
                             It seems conversations like this are not out of the ordinary. Often, someone else starts it, on seeing his cross. No judgements or lectures, just simple questions about personal beliefs.
                                           Most adults I know have troubles with that.
                               It hasn't been without personal cost for him. A friend or two have stepped back, some for a time and some for longer. I have spoken to him about the pains, responsabilities and freedoms involved with speaking about beliefs.
               First I reassured him that he had no responsibility for the outcome. All he spoke with had their hearts in the hand of God, and only He had Power to change them.
                   That relieved him immensely. I could physically see a load fall from his shoulders.
         I told him how proud of him that I was. How rare it is, to naturally share Faith.
             I reminded him that all people have the right to any belief they choose and that all we can do is to share ours gently...
                                      He seemed to get what Id been saying..
                           
                                      I wanted to tell him that he was my hero...
                                 But I didn't say that and Im not sure why. I think, because I wanted his humility to not be tested, this early...
                                                        I don't know...
                I do know that he hasn't gotten that nonchalance from me. At work, I can count the times I spoke of Christ on one hand. Generally, it is a struggle to not join the inappropriate conversations , that always pop up in our shop.
              For me, what he does without fear or discomfort, terrorized this man,charged in preparing his heart. But of course I forget what I just shared with him, about how God holds all our hearts, and changes them,in his time...
                  In most of his words I hear remnants of our Pastors, children's ministries leaders and assorted friends and family.. I hear his amazing mom, often...
                Sometimes I hear a word I shared, at a time in the past...
                         I'm beginning to understand why Jesus loved children so.
                                     Why Jesus still loves children so...
                           I am a proud dad of a heart I did little too affect...
                              But a heart I did spend much time loving...
                                              Way to go, my little lawyer!

No comments:

Post a Comment